Sunday, June 16, 2013

Chapter 1: Uncertainty

First Part Written by: MrsOogieBoogie


The sound of birds chirping sang throughout the Purple Plum Forest and the gentle breeze was the perfect temperature; it was hot, but the wind cooled any glistening skin. Long eyelashes fluttered open and green was the first color that she recognized, the wind causing the tips of the grass to tap against her cheeks and the tip of her nose in an annoying manner. 


Her groggy head turned to the right weakly, fluttering her lashes open and her sapphire eyes caught sight of the canopy of trees with purple and green leaves. Where am I? She first thought, her eyes struggling to open fully as she gathered her scattered thoughts.


 "Scarlett?!" Her frail, feminine voice called out, desperate to know where her older sister had gone. She was right next to me, she was right there.. Where did she go? She thought to herself, her mind getting scattered more and she looked around frantically, looking for Scarlett, anyone, really.. The air didn't carry any specific scents at first, nor did it signify that she was close to home or anywhere that she was used to.


She sat up quickly, continuing to look around and when it finally had dawned on her, her heart sank into her stomach and her nerves sky rocketed. Am I really.. Being put to the test? She thought to herself, Is Scarlett here with me? Am I alone? She continued to ponder, looking around more and keeping quiet, listening. She sat there for a long 30 seconds, keeping as still as she could and listening to any sign of life besides the birds and the foreign wildlife surrounding her. 


After the long seconds of just listening and realizing no one was near by, she smelled the air more and shut her eyes, catching the slightest scent of water in the distance. She rose to her feet and looked around once more, crouching and taking caution, peeking around the brush, regardless of what she though she hadn't heard, just in case she was wrong and was being watched. She stood to her feet, taking one last glance around now that she was at a higher stance and sill saw nothing, taking to her feet then and making her way towards the sound of the running water that wasn't too far away.


Her legs grew tired, but she eventually reached a body of water; a long river that seemed to lead somewhere to her right. But, to her dismay, the water was 30 feet down and the cliff was almost impossible to get down without falling, it was too steep. If she was desperate, she could jump down easily to get water, it was deep enough for her to, but her hydrophobia kept her from doing so. Left, towards most likely a calm body of water, or right, to where the water was flowing to? Her survival instincts were telling her right, so, with a hard swallow and a nervous and scared mindset, she set her trail for the right.


Second Part Written by: LateKnightSimmer


The sound of the rushing waterfall in front of me seems to be much louder than it should be. It's gorgeous though, and I love water. I feel like I'm hungover, but that's ridiculous because alcohol has been illegal for years now. I'm lucky that I got to taste it while it was still legal because that shit is amazing. I sigh as the happy thought passes and it does not change the fact that my head is pounding all the way from my temples to the back of my head at the nape of my neck. I wish I had some aspirin right about now, or a cold Scotch on the rocks. That would cure my headache for sure.



Dammit. I feel a bump on my head. Maybe someone clocked me. Whatever, that doesn't happen, I kick ass... except when I've been drugged. Was I drugged? Shit, I don't know. I kind of feel like I could have been. I'm not exactly with it like I usually am. I shake my head around and blink a few times, partly trying to dissipate my headache and partly trying to regain my bearings. In a world like this, where everyone's out to get you, you have to be alert. I close my eyes for a few seconds, listening to the sounds around me, the water in front of me, the soft breeze blowing through the palm trees, and the sand beneath me as I shift my leg.


I open my eyes and feel a little better. My head still feels like I banged it into a brick wall, but I can think now. Awesome. Fuck. Where is Aubrey? My little sister, she's like a ninja sometimes, quiet and stealthy. I know she's not around me though, because I would know. If surviving has taught me anything, it's that minding your surroundings is the best thing you can do for yourself. I passed that lesson onto Aubrey, and I can only hope that she is safe even though she is not with me.


Distance Between Scarlett and Aubrey: 1,000 miles

15 comments:

  1. Oooo, a mystery. With maybe a touch of the thriller genre. Loving it so far! Can't wait to try to figure out what's happened to Scarlet and Aubrey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello darling! Thanks for making your way over to this story too. :) I found your original comment, and deleted the other one. I am glad you like it so far. Definitely a touch of thriller. I can't not write in a thrilling style. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Yes, very much a mystery and thriller! Haha Thanks for reading! And I agree with LKS, I can't wait to write more of this story. :)

      Delete
  2. Two of my favorite writers combined? Of course I gotta read this story! Really great so far! like Seera said above, it has a mystery vibe going on that I like! I wonder what happened to scarlet and Aubrey, and can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the compliment! Haha. Thank you as well for making your way over to this story. This story is definitely mysterious and gritty. :) I wouldn't have it any other way. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Awwwwww hahaha! Thanks so much.. T_T And thanks for reading! Eager to get this story going. :D

      Delete
  3. Wow your screenshots are gorgeous! I very much like the angles that you shot the pictures. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I do find the font a little tricky to read - might be due to color or italics? Other than that, interesting beginning, I hope they're reunited soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And thanks for letting us know it's a little hard to read for you, we'll probably play around with the colors and fonts soon then. :) Glad you're liking the story, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Hi Emerain! Thanks for dropping by and giving us feedback! :)

      Delete
  4. It's definitely got me hooked from the get go and I can't wait to read more and with you two writing it, it'll be interesting and different from other stories as we get to see both of your writing styles and the way that meshes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! Thanks for checking this out. We found our writing styles are similar in the way that we like to write about similar subject matter, so writing a story together should flow pretty well.

      Delete
    2. Aww yay! Glad you're already intrigued by the story! I hope you continue to enjoy it! :D
      Sorry for the late response, too.. I don't get notifications like I should when people comment >.<
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Wow this was such a great idea to write with another writer...Something different...It's refreshing :) I wonder what happened to make Aubrey and Scarlett get separated. I have a feeling they're not alone lol Someone or something is there with them...I like how Scarlett is ready to take on anything that comes her way. What did Aubrey mean when she said "Am I really being put to the test?" ....Hmmmm makes me think :) Great start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Regaining Tranquility. :D
      Haha, thanks! It's pretty fun writing with her. Ahh, yes, answers to your questions will happen in future chapters. XD Scarlett's pretty confident most of the time, and she doesn't put up with shit. LOL. I'll let MrsOogieBoogie answer that part you mentioned about Aubrey. XD
      Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I liked the idea of being able to write with LateKnight ;D
      Hmm, well, I guess the best way to understand what Aubrey meant is to read the "About" page, that pretty much sums things up. But to put it plainly, she means "is she really being put to the test of being forced to survive". O_O
      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Leave a note for Scarlett and Aubrey...